I started my training by completing medical school at the University of Alabama School of Medicine and completed my psychiatry residency at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in New York City. For the first three years of my career I worked at St. Luke's Hospital both as Associate Training Director and as a general outpatient psychiatrist for patients, including those living with serious mental illness.
Although I work with anyone, my career has been most focused on the LGBTQ population serving as both President of AGLP: The Association of LGBTQ Psychiatrists and Director of Psychiatry at Callen-Lorde Community Health Center, one of the largest LGBTQ Medical Centers in the world.
I have expert training in both psychotherapy and medication management and can provide either or both depending on need. Some examples of the reasons why people see me are:
- Treatment of depression, anxiety, mood, and psychotic symptoms
- LGBTQ-affirming psychotherapy
- Gay Men's Mental Health needs
- Stage of life issues and relationship difficulties
- Sex Therapy - All sexual orientations and gender identities
- Substance use concerns including opioid treatment